Blog contribution by: Andrea Halvorsen
Hypnobirthing is not only for childbirth, but its benefits also start showing from pregnancy.
Hypnobirthing empowers women to trust their bodies and take control of their birthing experience, by reducing stress and anxiety, using deep relaxation techniques, breath work, and self-hypnosis, also educating them and their birth-partners about the birthing process, what to expect and how to make informed choices, so they can take control of their experience making it positive regardless the type of birth. While many women choose hypnobirthing for a more relaxed and positive childbirth, it can also provide many benefits for the postpartum period.
When I teach hypnobirthing I always say to my students that giving birth is the easy part, the postpartum is the real deal, first time expecting parents usually laugh, they think I’m joking…but I couldn’t be more real.
The postpartum period can be very challenging for many women. As the body goes through physical and hormonal changes, adjusting at the same time to the demands of caring for a new-born can also be an emotional rollercoaster, new mums often feel overwhelmed, anxious, or stressed.
Woman that preprepared for childbirth with hypnobirthing tend to get through the postpartum period with more ease, calm and confidence.
Here is a list of some of the benefits that hypnobirthing mothers experience in the postpartum period:
- Faster recovery: Women that use hypnobirthing are less likely to need medical interventions in childbirth, such as induction and c-sections, which can lead to a faster recovery after birth. This can include a shorter hospital stay, fewer postpartum complications, and a quicker return to normal activities.
- Better bonding with baby: The relaxed state of mind that hypnobirthing can promote during childbirth can also help with bonding with the baby after birth. Hypnobirthing mothers tend to feel calmer and more connected to their baby.
- Lower incidence of postpartum depression: By reducing stress and anxiety during pregnancy and childbirth, hypnobirthing can help women feel more confident and empowered also during the postpartum period, leading to an easier transition into motherhood.
- Better sleep: Hypnobirthing techniques can help women manage stress and anxiety, which can lead to better sleep during the postpartum period. This can be especially important for new mothers who are dealing with the demands of caring for a newborn.
- Confident mothers: Hypnobirthing can also help increase a woman’s confidence in her own abilities and instincts as a mother. The techniques taught in hypnobirthing can be applied to other areas of motherhood, such as breastfeeding and baby care, helping women feel more confident and capable
- Quicker breastfeeding establishment: The deep relaxation techniques used to prepare for childbirth, can also be used to relax and encourage breastfeeding establish in a smoother and quicker way.
- Hands-on partners: They play a crucial role in supporting the mother and baby during the postpartum period. By continuing to use hypnobirthing techniques and providing emotional support, partners can help make the postpartum period a positive and fulfilling experience for both the mother and the baby.
Here are some specific hypnobirthing techniques that can be useful during the postpartum period with practical examples so you can put them in practice.
Deep breathing exercises
Deep breathing exercises can help women relax their bodies and reduce stress levels. Breathing can calm the mind and promote relaxation.
Find a comfortable place, and breath deeply in through the nose, while breathing in, imagine a warm light entering your body, when you find yourself full of this light, breath out, long, and slowly through your mouth, this time imagine dark light leaving your body, let it go completely, repeat this breathing as many times as you need.
Visualization can help women focus their minds on positive images and experiences, reducing feelings of stress and anxiety. By visualizing a peaceful place or a positive outcome, women can create a sense of calm and well-being.
Close your eyes and imagine a peaceful and relaxing place. This could be a beach, a forest, or any other place that makes you feel calm and grounded. Imagine yourself in this peaceful place, breathing deeply and feeling a sense of calm wash over you.
Affirmations are positive statements that can be very helpful for new mothers during the postnatal period as they adjust to their new role and navigate the challenges of motherhood.
I am a capable mother and I do the best for my baby
I am allowed to ask for help and support when I need it
I trust my instincts as a mother
I am sleeping very well, and I am full of energy (my favourite one after a difficult night)
I am capable to overcome the challenges of motherhood with ease
I confidently raise my child my way (another favourite when outsiders come with unsolicited advice).
Hypnobirthing can provide many benefits for the postpartum period, including faster recovery, improved bonding, reduced risk of postpartum depression and anxiety, increased confidence, and better sleep. By preparing for childbirth with hypnobirthing, women can approach the postpartum period better equipped, leading to a more positive transition into motherhood.
I’m Andrea Halvorsen, mother to 3 girls, hypnobirthing and antenatal teacher, Mama dance instructor and former scientist.
I discovered hypnobirthing in my third pregnancy, after suffering two previous traumatic births.
Hypnobirthing helped me to achieve the positive birth I wanted with my third and changed the way I see birth forever.
After experiencing such an empowering birth, I trained as a Hypnobirthing practitioner to support people like you to achieve the calm, positive and informed birth experience every woman deserves.